The Future Climate Venture Fellowship Program, part of the Future Climate Venture Studio, is designed to provide tangible experiences for students interested in learning about start-ups, marketing, commercialization, venture development, and research around climate change.
Fellows will be assigned to a startup company and will have the opportunity to learn about a wide range
of subject matter directed at addressing climate change. Fellows will work closely with the management
teams at early stage startups, and will be invited to attend internal and external educational and startup
development focused seminars. Previous Fellowship projects included:
● Materials testing research for a bioplastics startup
● Seed surface analysis for an agriculture resilience startup
● Policy research around battery recycling requirements
● Go-to-market strategy for the Connecticut market for a vertical farming startup
Accepting Applications until August 13th, 2023
|Vivek Ramakrishnan, Ph.D.
Director, Venture Development
1. About the Future Climate Studio:
The Future Climate Venture Studio, launched in September 2022, is a unique public-private partnership
between UConn, R/GA Ventures, CTNext, CT Innovations, CT Green Bank, and PURA. This unique
partnership helps position UConn as a world leader in addressing climate change by engaging in a)
interdisciplinary multi-institute research programs, b) forming strategic partnerships to create an
ecosystem of opportunity and solutions for new startups in climate tech and c) workforce development
and advocacy to address the human future.
2. Credit, Compensation, and Hours:
The Fellowship will take place during the Fall 2023 semester from Tuesday, September 5th to Friday,
November 17th. The three student fellows will each receive a grant in the total of $2,500. Students will
be required to spend 10 hours/week (work hours will not include weekends) and a commitment to fully
engage and continue with the Fellowship program for the duration. Fellows will work on-site at the
Innovation Partnership Building and remotely.
Interested students must be:
- Enrolled in a Masters and/or PhD program in Engineering, STEM, Agriculture, Social Sciences or Business
- Have excellent writing skills
- Have a science, technical, or business background
- Have an interest in the entrepreneurial process
- Have an interest in addressing climate change
- Be self-motivated, have good time management, and dependable
- Have the ability to work independently and handle confidential material
Successful candidates will be required to sign Confidentiality Agreements and may be required to
undergo a background check at the discretion of the Program Manager.
4. How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until 5pm on Sunday, August 13th, 2023. Applicants are required to submit
a CV/resume, a cover letter discussing their relevant education, experience, and interest in the program
including their commitment to addressing climate change, and the contact information for two
Please email all the required materials under the subject line: Future Climate Venture Studio
Fellowship-Last Name, First Name to Dr. Vivek Ramakrishnan: firstname.lastname@example.org .